Individuals with a passion for ministry with young people and their families are invited, equipped and encouraged to become a Child Advocate or create a Child Advocacy Team in your local church or community.
Child Advocates and Child Advocacy Teams nurture, speak and act on behalf of children, youth and families in the following ways:
Collaborate and Organize with others who desire to improve the lives of children.
Speak and Advocate on behalf of children and children’s issues:
- With people you know in your congregation, Church Council, professional association, community and/or social media group,
- Through partnerships with elected leaders and public officials, or
- By supporting legislation and public policy practices that benefit children and families.
Support and Promote UVC child-serving agencies by:
- Inviting UVC/Agency leaders to preach or speak with your congregation
- Raising funds through 5th Sunday Appeal or Rainbow Covenant giving
- Responding to supply drives and agencies’ calls to action
- Observe Children’s Sunday in June and Children’s Sabbath in October
Commitment and Support
UVC commits to supporting Child Advocates in the following ways:
- Help organize and train Advocates and Advocacy Teams
- Provide current information about children’s issues, pending legislation and Agency services and activities
- Strategize with local Teams regarding advocacy plans, activities and events
- Offer individual consultation by phone, email and other media